#1 Burning Software

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Virtual CDRW?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:30 am 

I realise that the coders @ RDS are probably quite busy with the burning libraries, but have you considered adding a virtual CDRW capability to the libraries? I'm unfortunately developing on a machine with no CDRW capability, so being able to use a virtual cdrw application (even just distributed as sample code that I have to compile) to provide a test CDRW would be nifty :)

Even niftier would be the ability to say 'cd bad', 'no cd' etc.

On the whole, I'm enjoying using the OCX library in C#, I just have to work out all of my runtime requirements... and I'm not a windows programmer by trade :)

Post subject: Re: Virtual CDRW?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Enterprise and Network editions of StarBurn SDK come with virtual DVD emulator (redistributable!) embedded. This is done to verify mastered DVD images before sending them to production or to check created ISO images (which should be recorded later to DVD or tape) to make sure content is 1:1 identical to the one used to create ISO from. So if you mean "DVD READER" - this feature is already in StarBurn.

Network version of StarBurn SDK allows you to burn to remote CD/DVD burner. So you can burn to CD/DVD w/o having actual burner installed locally. All you need - have at least 100 megabits network hardware and some DVD/CD burner shared with StarWind Lite version somewhere on your LAN or WAN. So redirection of CD/DVD burners is already part of StarBurn.

If you mean true virtual CD/DVD burner - I'm afraid there's no big market for such a thing. People who don't have 25 bucks for CD-R/RW burner would hardly pay me even 100 bucks for 50% discounted StarBurn Personal license...

Thanks!

cricalix wrote:
I realise that the coders @ RDS are probably quite busy with the burning libraries, but have you considered adding a virtual CDRW capability to the libraries? I'm unfortunately developing on a machine with no CDRW capability, so being able to use a virtual cdrw application (even just distributed as sample code that I have to compile) to provide a test CDRW would be nifty :)

Even niftier would be the ability to say 'cd bad', 'no cd' etc.

On the whole, I'm enjoying using the OCX library in C#, I just have to work out all of my runtime requirements... and I'm not a windows programmer by trade :)

Post subject: There are other reasons too...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:51 am 

I've just got a new PC, and I want to use it for my iTunes music.
My old pc doesn't like the iPod, and is full. I need to upgrade.

I could hard copy all the music, but then I'd have to re-import; there's a lot of data already in itunes' system that'd have to be reconfigured and re-entered. I would also lose all filing of podcasts and they would become standard audio files - this would create a nightmare. And I'm also on a limited quota with the crappy ISP my landlord provides, so I'd be up the creek when itunes starts automatically re-downloading 2 years worth of 40 podcasts I've already got.

So the only effective solution is to use the internal tool iTunes has of backing up the library.
2 ways:
First is using an iPod. Great, I've got one of those - the one I can't use on the old computer. $#!*.
The other way is to burn to disc...
iTunes folder properties; "Size on disk: 118 GB (127,422,029,824 bytes)"
Anyone got a spare 185 CDs?

I need this feature... and I'm near musicless until I get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:01 am 
Site Admin

We'll consider this as part of the other (StarWind) application. Virtual CD-RW & DVD+RW & BD-RE. No timeframes however...