#1 Burning Software

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: JStarBurn supported write speeds in Evaluation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:01 pm 

Hi, I am evaluating JStarBurn and just want to clarify whether the evaluation version is limited in anyway regarding setting the write speed? I am trying to get the available write speeds and have read here about getting the max write speed and then looping over the list of possible speeds doing set/get to find supported speeds.

The thing is, with the eval version, I cannot set the write speed to anything other than the current speed reported by the drive with a blank disc. I have a DVD+-R writer and have used various media types without success. I have also noticed that the read/write speeds reported by JStarBurnBurnerGrabber are slower than what should be possible.

Before I continue banging my head against the wall, is this not possible in the eval version or is this an issue with JStarBurn?

Post subject: Re: JStarBurn supported write speeds in Evaluation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:08 am 
Site Admin

No, evaluation version is not limited in features.

Can you check our C/C++ console samples, do they have the same issue as our JStarBurn ones? In other words we'd like to know is this Java wrapper or StarBurn core problem.

Thanks!

knarvaez wrote:
Hi, I am evaluating JStarBurn and just want to clarify whether the evaluation version is limited in anyway regarding setting the write speed? I am trying to get the available write speeds and have read here about getting the max write speed and then looping over the list of possible speeds doing set/get to find supported speeds.

The thing is, with the eval version, I cannot set the write speed to anything other than the current speed reported by the drive with a blank disc. I have a DVD+-R writer and have used various media types without success. I have also noticed that the read/write speeds reported by JStarBurnBurnerGrabber are slower than what should be possible.

Before I continue banging my head against the wall, is this not possible in the eval version or is this an issue with JStarBurn?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:31 pm 

Anton,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. Ok, I have done some more experimenting to try and isolate the issue. I compiled the C++ debug version of the MSVC DeviceInfo Wizard and ran it with the debug version of the StarBurn.dll. I captured the debug output and zipped that up and sent it. The situation occurs with core Starburn, not just the java wrapper.

I compared the write speeds as reported by the burning app, DeepBurner, with the write speeds as reported by DeviceInfo.

It seems to be a problem on Vista x86 w/SP1. On XP x86 w/SP3 I get the same same write speeds for various media types in StarBurn core as I get with DeepBurner.

On Vista I get reported write speeds for my LiteOn DVD DH16W1S with TDK DVD+R 16X media of 16X(22,160 kbps), 12X(16620 kbps), 8X(11,080 kbps), 6X(8310 kbps). With DeviceInfo I get only one write speed of 6X(8864 kbps).

With RiData 8X DVD-R media DeepBurner reports write speeds of 6X(8313 kbps), and 4X(5540 kbps). With DeviceInfo I get 2.4X(3324 kbps).

I did notice that CD-R media write speeds are correct and match up between DeepBurner and DeviceInfo in Vista.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:06 am 
Site Admin

DeepBurner is based on StarBurn itself so it's not a good idea to compare StarBurn core with it :) Can you give a try to something else? Say Nero or Sonic software? Just to be sure. Thank you!

P.S. We've got the logs you've kindly provided and are checking them.

knarvaez wrote:
Anton,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. Ok, I have done some more experimenting to try and isolate the issue. I compiled the C++ debug version of the MSVC DeviceInfo Wizard and ran it with the debug version of the StarBurn.dll. I captured the debug output and zipped that up and sent it. The situation occurs with core Starburn, not just the java wrapper.

I compared the write speeds as reported by the burning app, DeepBurner, with the write speeds as reported by DeviceInfo.

It seems to be a problem on Vista x86 w/SP1. On XP x86 w/SP3 I get the same same write speeds for various media types in StarBurn core as I get with DeepBurner.

On Vista I get reported write speeds for my LiteOn DVD DH16W1S with TDK DVD+R 16X media of 16X(22,160 kbps), 12X(16620 kbps), 8X(11,080 kbps), 6X(8310 kbps). With DeviceInfo I get only one write speed of 6X(8864 kbps).

With RiData 8X DVD-R media DeepBurner reports write speeds of 6X(8313 kbps), and 4X(5540 kbps). With DeviceInfo I get 2.4X(3324 kbps).

I did notice that CD-R media write speeds are correct and match up between DeepBurner and DeviceInfo in Vista.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:48 pm 

Sorry for the delay in responding, I had a few other tasks to complete before continuing with the evaluation.

Anway, I did not know DeepBurner was based on StarBurn, good to know, although it is rather curious that DeepBurner has no problem getting the faster write speeds with my Lite-On drive while the core SDK does.

I have done as you suggested and tested the write speeds as reported by Roxio Creator and Nero 9 Trial. They both report the same faster speeds as listed by DeepBurner above.

I have also attached an external firewire DVD burner, the Lacie 16X D2 with the TSSTCorp SH-W162L drive. The good news is that StarBurn core has no problem getting the same write speeds with this device as Roxio, Nero and DeepBurner. So it seems to just be an incompatibility with StarBurn Core and the Lite-On DH16W1S drive.

Have you had any other reports of issues with Lite-On drives?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Where's the log?

knarvaez wrote:
Sorry for the delay in responding, I had a few other tasks to complete before continuing with the evaluation.

Anway, I did not know DeepBurner was based on StarBurn, good to know, although it is rather curious that DeepBurner has no problem getting the faster write speeds with my Lite-On drive while the core SDK does.

I have done as you suggested and tested the write speeds as reported by Roxio Creator and Nero 9 Trial. They both report the same faster speeds as listed by DeepBurner above.

I have also attached an external firewire DVD burner, the Lacie 16X D2 with the TSSTCorp SH-W162L drive. The good news is that StarBurn core has no problem getting the same write speeds with this device as Roxio, Nero and DeepBurner. So it seems to just be an incompatibility with StarBurn Core and the Lite-On DH16W1S drive.

Have you had any other reports of issues with Lite-On drives?