#1 Burning Software

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: [...]_TrackAtOnceFromTree - ignores TestWrite argument?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:19 am 

Hi,

I was using Video Burner (MSVC, GUI sample) with DVD+RW disc to write a DVD Video in simulation mode. However data was really written into the disc.

It seems like StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_TrackAtOnceFromTree function ignores p__BOOLEAN__IsTestWrite argument.

The log was sent to anton-at-rocketdivision.com.

Thanks,
Vladimir

Post subject: Re: [...]_TrackAtOnceFromTree - ignores TestWrite argument?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

1) DVD+RW media does not have "test burn" feature. At all :)

2) You need to process CN_DVD_TEST_WRITE_DISABLED callback StarBurn will use to inform you the operation will physically touch the the media (and not "test" like you've requested). We cannot include every check into the samples so that's why you don' see such a handler in the SDK processed (our samples are already too huge).

3) Please use support@rocketdivision.com e-mail alias for all support-related requests. Personal e-mails are not tracked so there's no guarantee they will work...

vid wrote:
Hi,

I was using Video Burner (MSVC, GUI sample) with DVD+RW disc to write a DVD Video in simulation mode. However data was really written into the disc.

It seems like StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_TrackAtOnceFromTree function ignores p__BOOLEAN__IsTestWrite argument.

The log was sent to anton-at-rocketdivision.com.

Thanks,
Vladimir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:42 am 

Ok, thank. Just one more thing to clarify...

anton (staff) wrote:
1) DVD+RW media does not have "test burn" feature. At all :)

Does this mean that the media type is the only thing I need to know to understand if inserted media supports test burning? If yes, then could you please verify if the following table is correct or not? In the table I put [+] for the media type which I think supports test burning and [-] for which test burning is not supported.

Code:
[-] DISC_TYPE_CDROM             //CD-ROM
[+] DISC_TYPE_CDR                //CD-R
[-] DISC_TYPE_CDRW              //CD-RW
[-] DISC_TYPE_DVDROM,         // DVD-ROM
[+] DISC_TYPE_DVDR,             // DVD-R
[+] DISC_TYPE_DVDRAM,           // DVD-RAM
[-] DISC_TYPE_DVDRWRO,          // DVD-RW RO
[-] DISC_TYPE_DVDRWSR,          // DVD-RW SR
[-] DISC_TYPE_DVDPLUSRW,       // DVD+RW
[-] DISC_TYPE_DDCDROM,             // DD CD-ROM
[+] DISC_TYPE_DDCDR,            // DD  CD-R
[-] DISC_TYPE_DDCDRW,            // DD CD-RW
[+] DISC_TYPE_DVDPLUSR,          // DVD+R
[+] DISC_TYPE_DVDPLUSR_DL,   // DVD+R DL
[+] DISC_TYPE_DVDR_DL,   // DVD-R DL
[-] DISC_TYPE_BDROM,   // BD-ROM (Blu-Ray ROM)
[+] DISC_TYPE_BDR,   // BD-R
[+] DISC_TYPE_BDRE,   // BD-RE
[-] DISC_TYPE_HDDVDROM,   // HD-DVD ROM
[+] DISC_TYPE_HDDVDR,   // HD-DVD Recordable
[-] DISC_TYPE_HDDVDRW   // HD-DVD ReWritable

I have searched through the docs for StarBurn SDK and did not found API which can be used to retrieve info about test burning mode support. Just want to be sure that I didn't miss it and explicity checking inserted media type is the only way to make a decision if the media supports test burning.

Thanks,
Vladimir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately eveything is not that easy... B/c Disc-At-Once recorded DVD-RW can support test burn, Packet-At-Once recorded DVD-RW (formatted for multisession) - cannot. Something close with the Blu-Ray media. For CD-RW you can test burn in TAO but not in SAO or DAO. That's why if you don't want to end with the bunch of the "spaghetti code" you really need to take care of the callbacks. Everything is already done for you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:26 am 

anton (staff) wrote:
Everything is already done for you :)

Ok I understand. Based on my research the callback (with CN_DVD_TEST_WRITE_DISABLED code) gets called only after I execute writing API ([...]_TrackAtOnceFromTree). Am I right?

In my situation I have two application - one application displays UI where user may select device for burning, burning speed etc. And second application is used for data preparation and actual burning. And I can't warn the user that test mode is not working from within second application.

Thus I really need to find out a way to disable/enable 'test burning' checkbox in the first application based on the media type inserted. Even if I end up with a "spaghetti" code :cry:

Actually my goal is a bit simpler - I don't need to have such information for all possible types of media as I need to know this only for those media which can be used for DVD-Video. Looking into Video Burn sample I can see that there are six media types (and TAO mode can be used only):
Code:
[+] DISC_TYPE_DVDR
[-] DISC_TYPE_DVDPLUSRW
[+] DISC_TYPE_DVDPLUSR
[?] DISC_TYPE_DVDRWRO
[?] DISC_TYPE_DVDRWSR
[?] DISC_TYPE_DVDPLUSR_DL

I would really appreciate if you can help me with the rest three media types :)

Thanks,
Vladimir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

In such a case you really need to do checks... OK.

CD-R/CD-RW. TAO can test burn, DAO and SAO cannot (actually SAO can do test burn but it's hardware dependent, so let's assume it cannot).

DVD-R. Can do test burn. DVD-RW can do test burn in SINGLE SESSION mode only. Multisession DVD-RW does not do test burn.

DVD+R/DVD+RW. Cannot test burn.

Blu-Ray (BD-R/BD-RE). Cannot test burn.

vid wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:
Everything is already done for you :)

Ok I understand. Based on my research the callback (with CN_DVD_TEST_WRITE_DISABLED code) gets called only after I execute writing API ([...]_TrackAtOnceFromTree). Am I right?

In my situation I have two application - one application displays UI where user may select device for burning, burning speed etc. And second application is used for data preparation and actual burning. And I can't warn the user that test mode is not working from within second application.

Thus I really need to find out a way to disable/enable 'test burning' checkbox in the first application based on the media type inserted. Even if I end up with a "spaghetti" code :cry:

Actually my goal is a bit simpler - I don't need to have such information for all possible types of media as I need to know this only for those media which can be used for DVD-Video. Looking into Video Burn sample I can see that there are six media types (and TAO mode can be used only):
Code:
[+] DISC_TYPE_DVDR
[-] DISC_TYPE_DVDPLUSRW
[+] DISC_TYPE_DVDPLUSR
[?] DISC_TYPE_DVDRWRO
[?] DISC_TYPE_DVDRWSR
[?] DISC_TYPE_DVDPLUSR_DL

I would really appreciate if you can help me with the rest three media types :)

Thanks,
Vladimir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:28 pm 

I've tried using the tip from the end of the thread regarding checking the type of disc. However, I get a return of $FF (undefined) when I have a DVD+RW in the drive.

So it would be helpful to know: is CN_DVD_TEST_WRITE_DISABLED presented to the callback before any writing actually takes place?

If so, I can abort the write operation before any damage is done without worrying about disc type, recording mode, hardware dependencies, etc.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:18 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately it's info-style callback so when you'll call cancel you'll probably have disc spoiled... But in any case you don't have to receive "unknown" disc type for DVD+RW. This means something wrong is with your app/core/headers. Try updating to V10 and re-building application completely.

Elly wrote:
I've tried using the tip from the end of the thread regarding checking the type of disc. However, I get a return of $FF (undefined) when I have a DVD+RW in the drive.

So it would be helpful to know: is CN_DVD_TEST_WRITE_DISABLED presented to the callback before any writing actually takes place?

If so, I can abort the write operation before any damage is done without worrying about disc type, recording mode, hardware dependencies, etc.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:41 am 

Quote:
But in any case you don't have to receive "unknown" disc type for DVD+RW. This means something wrong is with your app/core/headers. Try updating to V10 and re-building application completely.

Tried V10, but still got 0xFF.

Elly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:38 am 
Site Admin

DISC_TYPE_UNKNOWN is 0 (zero) and enum ends with DISC_TYPE_HDDVDRW (22). So there's no way you can receive 0xFF. So please send us StarBurn debug logs. Thanks!

Elly wrote:
Quote:
But in any case you don't have to receive "unknown" disc type for DVD+RW. This means something wrong is with your app/core/headers. Try updating to V10 and re-building application completely.

Tried V10, but still got 0xFF.

Elly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:27 am 

I have two application - one application displays UI where user may select device for burning, burning speed etc. And second application is used for data preparation and actual burning. And I can't warn the user that test mode is not working from within second application

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Check for inserted disc type and toggle test mode OFF if you have DVD+R/RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM or BD-R/RE. We'll update StarBurn API to return TRUE or FALSE for passed device type soon.