#1 Burning Software

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DVD-R TOC Wrong Info
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:13 am 
Hi,

Following up from a previous post where I asked how to get the last track number for a multisession disc so that I can import it, and having tried various methods that didn't work, was told I should just read the TOC and get the last track from there.

Well, having performed some tests, it appears the TOC is incorrect for DVD-R media. For a completely brand new blank DVD-R, Starburn returns 1 session 1 track. After burning one session, the TOC info returns 2 session 2 tracks.

It appears the TOC info is also not media independent ?

All I want to know is how to get the last track number in a media independent way ... but this appears to be a difficult task.

Regards,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:55 am 
I have just done some follow up testing using DVD+R and I am getting same results as DVD-R (i.e. wrong info).

It would appear for DVD+/-R, TOC's Number of Sessions and Number of Tracks have included the invisible track ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Chris,

in general the way would be like this: you get the TOC, check disc status, if the status is STATUS_INCOMPLETE you just subtract one track. That's all! However some time ago (I think it was even you who had asked about this "feature") we've made StarBurn to report STATUS_INCOMPLETE for DVD+RW and DVD-RAM. So described way would not work any more... :(

OK, I think we've wasted enough time of yours (sorry for this!). Right now I'm going to sit and write down extra API call (something close to GetTOCInformation(...) but with session import in mind) working in the same way for all of the medias. Would it be OK for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:27 am 
Hi Anton :)

Okay, just to clarify, it wasn't me who asked for the STATUS_INCOMPLETE for +RW/-RAM :)

Actually, why not just add an API like GetLastTrackNumber() ? Anyone who writes an app that needs to work with multisession CD/DVD will need it, so the easier it is to retrieve this info the better. Just a suggestion :)

Any idea when this new API will be released ?

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,

in general the way would be like this: you get the TOC, check disc status, if the status is STATUS_INCOMPLETE you just subtract one track. That's all! However some time ago (I think it was even you who had asked about this "feature") we've made StarBurn to report STATUS_INCOMPLETE for DVD+RW and DVD-RAM. So described way would not work any more... :(

OK, I think we've wasted enough time of yours (sorry for this!). Right now I'm going to sit and write down extra API call (something close to GetTOCInformation(...) but with session import in mind) working in the same way for all of the medias. Would it be OK for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:11 am 
Site Admin

1) It does not matter. I'm not blaming anybody. That stuff is just for your information - why it does not work :)

2) I don't think it's a good idea b/s quite often people want to import not last track but something in the middle or so on... So maybe we'll create TWO extra calls :)

3) Currently I'm working on fixing very important bug inside of StarBurn (not burning related but also very important) and I think I'll include extra API calls to upcoming StarBurn update. Scheduled on the end of this week.

Chris wrote:
Hi Anton :)

Okay, just to clarify, it wasn't me who asked for the STATUS_INCOMPLETE for +RW/-RAM :)

Actually, why not just add an API like GetLastTrackNumber() ? Anyone who writes an app that needs to work with multisession CD/DVD will need it, so the easier it is to retrieve this info the better. Just a suggestion :)

Any idea when this new API will be released ?

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,