#1 Burning Software

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Retrieving Disc Info
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:34 am 
Hi,

I would like to retrieve the PublisherPreparerName, ApplicationName, etc. of a disc that was created using ISO9660JolietFileTree_BuildImage. My questions are:

1) How do I retrieve those info from the disc ?
2) Is the method of retrieval standard for all media types ?

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for asking so many questions in one day :oops:

Kind regards,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Retrieving Disc Info
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Chris,

you'll have to parse ISO9660/Joliet file system structures. I mean - locate primary volume descriptor and look for these string. Would be a bit of the hard job on multisession discs and on discs with alien file system (like UDF or maybe FAT-formatted DVD-RAM - no such an info ever).

Yes, kind of standard. More question of the file system type then media itself. For DVD+RW/DVD-RAM and formatted DVD-RW you'll have a bonus of quick finding required info in the very first PVD on the disc, other disc types should be fully parsed to process multisession info.

I do not recommend you to mess with this. Actually we can add this stuff to our "ToDo" list however I'm not sure it would have high priority (you're the first one so far who had ever asked about this and there are some much more useful things waiting...).

Let me know what do you think and we'll find a compromise :)

Chris@Acubix wrote:
Hi,

I would like to retrieve the PublisherPreparerName, ApplicationName, etc. of a disc that was created using ISO9660JolietFileTree_BuildImage. My questions are:

1) How do I retrieve those info from the disc ?
2) Is the method of retrieval standard for all media types ?

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for asking so many questions in one day :oops:

Kind regards,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:30 pm 
I would use such a function (if it existed) too ... when I tell the user to insert a blank disc for me to write to, and the disc they insert isn't blank, I would like to have that information to show to the user to help them understand what disc it is that they inserted ...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

GetTrackInformation(...) for TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE would work for this just great. Failure to get such a track info means disc is closed (and unappendable) and NWA of non-zero means disc was recorded already (keeping last session opened).

Anonymous wrote:
I would use such afunction (if it existed) too ... when I tell the user to insert a blank disc for me to write to, and the disc they insert isn't blank, I would like to have that information to show to the user to help them understand what disc it is that they inserted ...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:44 am 
I'm doing that ... but what would be useful for me, would be to get the publisher and other info so that when I see that the disc is not empty, I can tell the user "You have inserted a disc named "Office" created by Microsoft on October 3, 1999, are you sure you want to erase it?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:13 am 
Site Admin

Use StarBurn_GetDeviceNameByDeviceAddress(...) to get drive letter style symbolic link (or whatever) + GetVolumeInformation(...) Win32 API call to retreive what you want.

Anonymous wrote:
I'm doing that ... but what would be useful for me, would be to get the publisher and other info so that when I see that the disc is not empty, I can tell the user "You have inserted a disc named "Office" created by Microsoft on October 3, 1999, are you sure you want to erase it?"