#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stream data on-the-fly to UDF discs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:07 pm 

I'm evaluating C++ StarBurn Core SDK (13.1 - Hellfire) to replace our current CD/DVD burning SDK. I've been going through documentation and samples to see if it meets our requirements. At first glance, it seems it has all features we want but I am having problems finding one thing.

How do you stream data to the UDF format disc on the fly without creating any intermediate image or file?

The way our app works is:

- application sends data to be burned on the disc in buffer as it reads from source
- current DVD burning sdk initializes disc to be written in UDF format, starts session (or import if needed), and then keep writing whatever data it receives directly to the the disc, returns with number of bytes successfully written.

We have to use UDF because file can be much larger than 2GB quite often.

Looks like StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_TrackAtOnceFromPipe() is what we need but there is no detail information or practical example of its use. Help page of this function lists "p__HANDLE" as one of the argument but its description says: "Handle to ISO9660 or Joliet file system image or sound file located in a pipe." I searched for this function in all C/C++ samples. It is not used anywhere.

Would be great if you can point in right direction.

Also, none of the StarBurn_UDF2* functions' help pages list which arguments are input or output. Would be nice if you guys can add that. :)

Post subject: Re: Stream data on-the-fly to UDF discs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Yes, XxxFromPipe(...) is a way to go. UDF or ISO9660 does not matter in such a case. You need to have known file sizes and build "virtual" image however later streaming actual data on-line.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:51 pm 

anton (staff) wrote:
Yes, XxxFromPipe(...) is a way to go. UDF or ISO9660 does not matter in such a case. You need to have known file sizes and build "virtual" image however later streaming actual data on-line.

There is no way for me to know the file size in advance. Can it be done without knowing file size in advance? If possible, I'd appreciate if you can explain in little bit detail on how to achieve this.

My application will be writing to Blu-ray discs and file size can be 20 GB or large easily. Reason I mention this is because after reading documentation, impression I got is that you have to burn disc in UDF format for file size larger than 2 GB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

No we cannot do THAT implementation of UDF used with say video streaming.