#1 Burning Software

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem Burning Files
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:29 am 

Environment: Vista X64 and Delphi 2007. I am trying to burn a file to a DVD with StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_TrackAtOnceFromTree. I have the DataBurner sample working correctly.

I also can create the burner device object correctly and use it to read device info, media info and the files in existing sessions. The ISO9660 Joliet file tree is being created correctly. However, when I go to write the tree to disk with StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_TrackAtOnceFromTree, the function never returns. My call back function reports CN_BUFFER_UNDERRUN.

I have compared my calling with the call in sbClasses and cannot see any differences. Is there anything else I need to do to burn a disk besides, creating a burner device object, creating an ISO9660 Joliet file tree and then calling StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_TrackAtOnceFromTree? Where should I look to what is causing my CN_BUFFER_UNDERRUN? TIA.

Post subject: Re: Problem Burning Files
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Initially I can bet you've allocated too small buffer for burning resulting buffer underruns (see help it's clarified there). Another possible reason your hard disk is not able to handle data streaming (burner burns faster then disk can read). Please send us StarBurn logs so we could say for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:43 pm 

Thanks for response. I'm pretty sure the problem is with too small buffer since I never allocated one. The I looked through the function list and the example in StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_TrackAtOnceFromTree Function and don't see how to do that. Can you point me to the right portion in the help?

The DataBurner sample works fine, so I am pretty sure that the HD can handle the streaming.

Thanks for your assistance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Buffer allocation is not in the burning itself, it's inside burner device creation. Please check help and samples source code and follow them (samples). Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:16 pm 

I verified and I am calling StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_CreateEx with the same parameters as the DataBurner sample. The Cache size is STARBURN_CACHE_SIZE_READ_WRITE (0) in both and the Device name is CdRom0 in both. I am still receiving CN_BUFFER_UNDERRUN.

One difference I noted was the DataBurner Sample CallBack function received the following Callback numbers: 4,5,6,7,40,41, 8 and 9 when burning. My CallBack function receives 4,5,6,7,40 and then an unending series of 25's instead of the 41, 8 and 9 of the Databurner sample. Is that significant?

Should I need to send you a log file, how is that enabled? I search the forum and found that I need to import the StarBurn.reg file that is located in "StarBurn SDK 10.5 Tomahawk\bin\log" directory. Is there anything else? Where will the log file be generated? Thanks for your assistance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:39 am 
Site Admin

1) If our own sample works fine and your app does not I do suspect there's something wrong with your app rather then with StarBurn itself. Please send us the log. If it would not be enough we'll have to review your app source...

2) Please check the FAQ as this question is highlighted there.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:09 pm 

Attached are the log files. There are two. The "Data Burner Log" is from the DataBurner Sample which is working correctly. The "TestCD Write Failure" is from my app which is not working successfully.

I am emailing support my actual application source code. Thank you for your help in getting this resolved. As usual, it is somewhat urgent as this is the last item that needs resolved before our next release.

Attachments:
TestCD.zip [35.95 KiB]
Downloaded 814 times

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Look at this line:

CStarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber::TrackAtOnce(): File chain size in LBs 0 should be OK for free LBs 2137088

And how did it happen you're burning ZERO-sized virtual image? Please check the sample to find out what you do wrong. I guess you don't build the tree correctly (skipping final calls) so StarBurn perfectly fails to burn zero-sized object (waits for background thread to pump anything as there's nothing we have a pretty nice deadlock...)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:23 pm 

I don't understand what you mean that I'm "skipping final calls". I looked at the help about creating the tree and adding files and don't see a reference to final calls. The example for StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_Add just shows a call to StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_Create, then a call to StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_GetRoot to get the root. Finally a call to StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_Add to add the file.

Trying to step through the DataBurner code to find what functions need to be called is very cumbersome. Beyond creating the tree and adding the files, what needs to be done?

FYI: I sent a copy of my code to support earlier.

Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:03 am 
Site Admin

I guess you don't all BuildImage(...) after all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:23 am 

No I wasn't. I didn't know that I needed to. Added that and everything seems to be working.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:46 am 
Site Admin

Please follow the samples. They are your friends :)

Nice to know you're OK now. Feel free to contact us in case of any issues.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 pm 

Please take this in the spirit for which it is offered but I have found your Delphi samples to be less than helpful. Perhaps for someone who already familiar with reading/writing CD/DVD's they are satisfactory. However, for someone new to writing CD code, I did not find them useful. I spent hours stepping through the DataBurner code and searching the documentation. If you know what you need to do, you can find it in the samples, but if you are trying to figure out what to do, it is not obvious.

For example, I was trying to burn files to a disk. The basic process is as I understand now:
1) Create a Device Object
2) Create a Joliet File Tree
3) Add File(s) to Tree
4) Calculate Starting LBA
5) Build the Disc Image
6) Burn Tree

A simple overview or sample of that would have been extremely helpful.

Again, please take the above in the spirit for which is is offered. You have a good product and support has been extremely helpful. I just wanted to point out what I felt was a weakness in your product.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

There's an absolutely minimalistic console sample set.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:56 pm 

That would be helpful. I didn't see those in the delphi samples. Where are they?