#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Exception in StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_ImportTrack
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:33 pm 

Hello there,

First of all, I'd like to say that I think the StarBurn SDK is absolutely brilliant. I have actually bought and paid for it and I am very satisified :). *Much* better than IMAPI, which is what I was using before. Keep up the good work.

My reason for posting is that StarBurn generates an exception when page heap checking is enabled in Windows. Although this is not causing any problems in the field, it interferes with my testing somewhat and points to a deeper problem, as such exceptions usually arise from using a pointer that has been freed.

The call that generates the exception is StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_ImportTrack. I imagine you will be able to reproduce the problem easily once you have turn on page heap checking for your test app. To do that, enter the following at the command line:

gflags -p /enable testapp.exe /full /decommit

where testapp.exe is the name of your test program. You need the .exe on the end. gflags itself is distributed with the debugging tools for windows (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx).

Since I discovered page heap checking, I have found a lot of bugs in my own code and I imagine you will too. It is quite wonderful. Recommended.

Post subject: Re: Exception in StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_ImportTrack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Paul, can you product the same issue with our console samples?

alpinesoft wrote:
Hello there,

First of all, I'd like to say that I think the StarBurn SDK is absolutely brilliant. I have actually bought and paid for it and I am very satisified :). *Much* better than IMAPI, which is what I was using before. Keep up the good work.

My reason for posting is that StarBurn generates an exception when page heap checking is enabled in Windows. Although this is not causing any problems in the field, it interferes with my testing somewhat and points to a deeper problem, as such exceptions usually arise from using a pointer that has been freed.

The call that generates the exception is StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_ImportTrack. I imagine you will be able to reproduce the problem easily once you have turn on page heap checking for your test app. To do that, enter the following at the command line:

gflags -p /enable testapp.exe /full /decommit

where testapp.exe is the name of your test program. You need the .exe on the end. gflags itself is distributed with the debugging tools for windows (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx).

Since I discovered page heap checking, I have found a lot of bugs in my own code and I imagine you will too. It is quite wonderful. Recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:43 pm 

Probably :)

But why don't you enable page heap checking on one of your development machines, see what happens? As I say, it trapped a number of 'dangling pointers' in my own code and I now routinely develop and test with it enabled.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for any immediate action on this. I'm just suggesting you enjoy the benefits of this wonderful tool to improve the robustness of your product. It's just sooooo easy in C / C++ to use a pointer you have freed elsewhere. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:49 am 
Site Admin

OK, we'll do it. Thank you for your hint :)

alpinesoft wrote:
Probably :)

But why don't you enable page heap checking on one of your development machines, see what happens? As I say, it trapped a number of 'dangling pointers' in my own code and I now routinely develop and test with it enabled.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for any immediate action on this. I'm just suggesting you enjoy the benefits of this wonderful tool to improve the robustness of your product. It's just sooooo easy in C / C++ to use a pointer you have freed elsewhere. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:07 am 

You're welcome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

:)

alpinesoft wrote:
You're welcome :)