#1 Burning Software

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Do-It-Yourself Diagnostics
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:19 pm 

I just submitted a log for analysis and received a reply suggesting what my client might do to get around a burn problem.

Great support, but it got me thinking that a tutorial for us programmers on how to analyze the diagnostic information--preferably from within code--would be helpful to users and relieve a burden on the support staff.

And to go with it, a chart showing when to use TAO, DAO, and SAO would be great!

Post subject: Re: Do-It-Yourself Diagnostics
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:22 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure it's a good idea... There's no much rocket science behind what we do but quite a lot of things are very complicated. So I don't think you'd like to blow up your brain trying to help to your customer. And I feel it's EXACTLY what you've paid us for :)

Back to different burning modes. With TAO application sends to the device only "user" data blocks (exact image it expect to be recorded to the media). And device generates "system" data (lead-in/lead-out/track gaps/ECC/EDC padding etc) itself. With the DAO application sends complete "user" + "system" data and device acts like a dump burner recording 1:1 everything it god. SAO is something in the middle (some modes are close to TAO and some modes like RAW SAO + SUB are closer to DAO). That's for CD. For DVD & Blu-Ray everything is a little bit more complex. It's always device who does burning of the "system" data so only "user" data is sent by the app. So "ideologically" this mode is close to TAO but quite a lot of the people call it "DVD DAO" and so on. Dunno why.

That's it :)

Elly wrote:
I just submitted a log for analysis and received a reply suggesting what my client might do to get around a burn problem.

Great support, but it got me thinking that a tutorial for us programmers on how to analyze the diagnostic information--preferably from within code--would be helpful to users and relieve a burden on the support staff.

And to go with it, a chart showing when to use TAO, DAO, and SAO would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:09 am 

Quote:
I'm not sure it's a good idea... There's no much rocket science behind what we do but quite a lot of things are very complicated. So I don't think you'd like to blow up your brain trying to help to your customer. And I feel it's EXACTLY what you've paid us for.

Okay, how about an additional module that does on the PC what you guys do in your heads, based on the last (failed) operation attempted?

It's something to think about for the next release. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't understand this :(( Can you re-phrase what you mean? Thank you!

Elly wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure it's a good idea... There's no much rocket science behind what we do but quite a lot of things are very complicated. So I don't think you'd like to blow up your brain trying to help to your customer. And I feel it's EXACTLY what you've paid us for.

Okay, how about an additional module that does on the PC what you guys do in your heads, based on the last (failed) operation attempted?

It's something to think about for the next release. :wink: