#1 Burning Software

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Session overhead ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:52 am 

Hi,

I have been evaluatiing the Starburn SDK and I have some questions about burning a multisession disc. I did some tests and found that when I burn the first session, the overhead is around 22+MB ... for second, third, etc. session, the overhead is around 13+MB per session ...

Can someone provide me with accurate figures on session overhead ? or is there something else that's taking up space that I should be aware of ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Session overhead ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Christian,

everything is the OK. No other overhead. You've got correct numbers.

christan wrote:
Hi,

I have been evaluatiing the Starburn SDK and I have some questions about burning a multisession disc. I did some tests and found that when I burn the first session, the overhead is around 22+MB ... for second, third, etc. session, the overhead is around 13+MB per session ...

Can someone provide me with accurate figures on session overhead ? or is there something else that's taking up space that I should be aware of ?

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:51 am 
Hi Anton, do you by any chance have the exact figures ? Also, just wondering, why does the first session have a higher overhead than the following sessions ?

anton (staff) wrote:
Christian,

christan wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:39 pm 

Hi Anton,

Apart from the accurate numbers for the session overhead for burning CDs, can I also ask what are the figures for DVD ?

Thanks.

anton (staff) wrote:
Christian,

christan wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Christian,

there is no such thing as "accurate numbers" as only lead-out size for session is fixed however lead-in is calculated and is different for different media (different CD-R brand) types. I've rechecked and it seems it's true and first session lead-in is larger then all next (upcoming) ones. So around 15 megabytes in general would be session overhead.

For DVD media it's even more difficult. DVD+RW and DVD-RAM does not have session overhead AT ALL. I've spoiled a couple of DVD-R and DVD+R discs (DVD-RW are the same as DVD-R) burning single 2MB session and found track sizes to be different each time (from 4 megabytes to 150 megabytes) in size. Also keep in mind in "compatible" mode at least 1 GB would be recorded for DVD. Real session data < 1 GB does not matter.

And current production verion of StarBurn SDK (the one you can download) has multisession DVD support disabled. We're still experimenting with this kind of stuff. Expected to be officially released only in 2-4 weeks from today. Not earleir.

christan wrote:
Hi Anton,

Apart from the accurate numbers for the session overhead for burning CDs, can I also ask what are the figures for DVD ?

Thanks.

anton (staff) wrote:
Christian,

christan wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:08 am 

Hi Anton,

Thanks for the info :) ... so the only reliable method of checking whether or not your data will fit in a particular media is to build an image, then use StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_GetSizeInUCHARs to get the size, and compare it to the free space of the media ?

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Christian,

there is no such thing as "accurate numbers" as only lead-out size for session is fixed however lead-in is calculated and is different for different media (different CD-R brand) types. I've rechecked and it seems it's true and first session lead-in is larger then all next (upcoming) ones. So around 15 megabytes in general would be session overhead.

For DVD media it's even more difficult. DVD+RW and DVD-RAM does not have session overhead AT ALL. I've spoiled a couple of DVD-R and DVD+R discs (DVD-RW are the same as DVD-R) burning single 2MB session and found track sizes to be different each time (from 4 megabytes to 150 megabytes) in size. Also keep in mind in "compatible" mode at least 1 GB would be recorded for DVD. Real session data < 1 GB does not matter.

And current production verion of StarBurn SDK (the one you can download) has multisession DVD support disabled. We're still experimenting with this kind of stuff. Expected to be officially released only in 2-4 weeks from today. Not earleir.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:22 am 
Site Admin

Chris,

EXACTLY! Or it can be summarized size for all of the tracks (if you're burning multitrack compilation for f.e. audio disc).

christan wrote:
Hi Anton,

Thanks for the info :) ... so the only reliable method of checking whether or not your data will fit in a particular media is to build an image, then use StarBurn_ISO9660JolietFileTree_GetSizeInUCHARs to get the size, and compare it to the free space of the media ?

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Christian,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:02 am 

Ok, i'm doing like Chris described. Add some files to file tree, build. No space ? Ugh, ok, remove some files, build again... oops ? Why i can't rebuild file tree again ? BuildImage fn returns error after second build. Is there any possibility to "clear" builded image before calling BuildImage again ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:19 am 
Site Admin

BuildImage() can be called only once. You need to keep track of file sizes yourself (callback processing).

Of course this is design flaw but it would be very difficult to change (not like with API extensions f.e.).

BTW, I've dropped you an e-mail asking for more details or session import issue. Just in case :)

Thanks!

Vetch wrote:
Ok, i'm doing like Chris described. Add some files to file tree, build. No space ? Ugh, ok, remove some files, build again... oops ? Why i can't rebuild file tree again ? BuildImage fn returns error after second build. Is there any possibility to "clear" builded image before calling BuildImage again ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:40 am 

anton (staff) wrote:
BuildImage() can be called only once

audience says: oooooooo :(

;-)

anton (staff) wrote:
Of course this is design flaw but it would be very difficult to change (not like with API extensions f.e.).

i can imagine that. But from logical point of view, there should be possibility to ReBuildImage everytime.

anton (staff) wrote:
BTW, I've dropped you an e-mail asking for more details or session import issue. Just in case :)

i get it, thanks. But i'm still searching for my bugs. If i don't find any, then send you this. At this time i really don't know what is this. And i don't want to take your time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure I've got it... Why do you need to call BuildImage() more then once? :)

OK. Howere if you'll need any help == please drop us a message.

Thanks!

Vetch wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:
BuildImage() can be called only once

audience says: oooooooo :(

;-)

anton (staff) wrote:

i can imagine that. But from logical point of view, there should be possibility to ReBuildImage everytime.

anton (staff) wrote:

i get it, thanks. But i'm still searching for my bugs. If i don't find any, then send you this. At this time i really don't know what is this. And i don't want to take your time.