#1 Burning Software

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SDK Questions...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:03 pm 

Pardon my ignorance here, I just want to make sure I understand if I can do the following before I try out the SDK...

I want to be able to capture video and burn directly to DVD and have the DVD play on any normal set top player. I got the impression this could be done through the write-up on your site.

However, what about the whole authoring process and required folder format etc. of the DVD spec?

Very cool and promising SDK...thanks for some input.

Post subject: Re: SDK Questions...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yes and no. There are some issues with what you want to do.

1) We're assuming you're having audio and video interleaved. So VOB file would be resulting your DV capture. We'll remultiplex it for sure later but source must be VOB already. It's possible for us to generate VOB from RAW DV source but it would cost you additional money.

2) We can create a DVD-Video movie but w/o any menus (yet). Only movie itself. But playable everywhere.

So purchasing commercial license and adding extra $ would buy you what you want.

Other companies would charge you 10x times more. Plus % from sales (most of the cases). We'll ask for single time payment only.

scarfie wrote:
Pardon my ignorance here, I just want to make sure I understand if I can do the following before I try out the SDK...

I want to be able to capture video and burn directly to DVD and have the DVD play on any normal set top player. I got the impression this could be done through the write-up on your site.

However, what about the whole authoring process and required folder format etc. of the DVD spec?

Very cool and promising SDK...thanks for some input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:09 pm 

The hardware I'm using is not definite yet but I'm leaning toward a hardware encoder/decoder card.

I'm not using DV (firewire) at all. The encoder card spits out multiplexed MPEG2 audio and video. Is this where the extra $ comes in for you to turn it into VOB?

Ultimately I'd like this file to burn straight to DVD just like a set top DVD Recorder. However it sounds like the menu limitations in your SDK may foul things up. I'd be recording several short video clips per disc and there has to be a way to access the different clips through a menu.

I have a lot of work to do getting many features of the application working before I ever attempt a straight burn to DVD. Perhaps it will give enough time for you guys to develop menu support and what not. Is it your plan to implement this in the future?

Really appreciate the feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Burning the data on-the-fly requires absolutely different design. There is no way to do it with our current toolkit. We've did such a solutions as a custom work based on our different burning engine, but with quite a lot of restrictions. You'd better look for some other library (sorry I cannot name anybody who sells this stuff for reasonable money). Or if you have app just planned you can change it's specification to fit the burning toolkit :-)

scarfie wrote:
The hardware I'm using is not definite yet but I'm leaning toward a hardware encoder/decoder card.

I'm not using DV (firewire) at all. The encoder card spits out multiplexed MPEG2 audio and video. Is this where the extra $ comes in for you to turn it into VOB?

Ultimately I'd like this file to burn straight to DVD just like a set top DVD Recorder. However it sounds like the menu limitations in your SDK may foul things up. I'd be recording several short video clips per disc and there has to be a way to access the different clips through a menu.

I have a lot of work to do getting many features of the application working before I ever attempt a straight burn to DVD. Perhaps it will give enough time for you guys to develop menu support and what not. Is it your plan to implement this in the future?

Really appreciate the feedback.