#1 Burning Software

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: DVD-RW and TrackAtOnceFromTree
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:09 am 
Hi,

When I used TrackAtOnceFromTree to burn a multisession DVD-RW and I set IsNextSessionAllowed to False, I get an exception and was unable to burn.

Again, this behaviour is inconsistent with other media types. Wouldn't it be better to just allow burning in order to maintain consistency of behaviour ?

I am finding that my code would need to have many different checking for all the different types of media in order to get my program to work properly, simply because of the different behaviours of the Starburn functions for the different types of DVD media.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Regards,
Christopher Tan

Post subject: Re: DVD-RW and TrackAtOnceFromTree
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Exception - you mean you've got error code from StarBurn (it refused to burn the disc). No application crash, right?

Generally speaking you should not get error code when burning DVD-RW and asking about now next session. Could you please send me the log and I'll try to find out what's wrong. I guess we'll just patch your settings to FALSE (if you're working with multisession disc of course, no patching for single or I mean first session).

You're absolutely correct - we're trying to do our best in making all of the disc types look the same (however this is not true inside StarBurn of course). Sooner or later all the issues in handling different devices inside user app should be gone.

Let's get your logs and sort this particular issue out :-)

Chris@Acubix wrote:
Hi,

When I used TrackAtOnceFromTree to burn a multisession DVD-RW and I set IsNextSessionAllowed to False, I get an exception and was unable to burn.

Again, this behaviour is inconsistent with other media types. Wouldn't it be better to just allow burning in order to maintain consistency of behaviour ?

I am finding that my code would need to have many different checking for all the different types of media in order to get my program to work properly, simply because of the different behaviours of the Starburn functions for the different types of DVD media.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Regards,
Christopher Tan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:00 am 
Hi Anton,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have emailed to logs to you :)

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Chris,

got the logs! The problem you're getting is b/s you're mixing two incomatible modes for DVD-RW. I mean first you create multisession disc and format DVD-RW media and then you try to burn in single session mode (that's why "reserve track" command fails - it always fail on formatted DVD-RW).

I agree with you it's a bit of common situation so I'd workaround such a behaviour at library level. I'll be back home tomorrow so please wait for a fix on Wed-Thu (this week).

Chris@Acubix wrote:
Hi Anton,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:19 am 
Hi Anton,

Sorry for all the questions, but I am getting a bit confused. Here is what the Starburn documentation says about "IsNextSessionAllowed".

IsNextSessionAllowed: BOOLEAN set to TRUE is next session is allowed on this media, FALSE if next session will not be allowed on this media.

But what you're saying is that "IsNextSessionAllowed" is actually to used to set multisession/singlesession writing modes ?

My main reason for setting "IsNextSessionAllowed" to FALSE is because I wanted to close the disc to prevent further writing. Is there a way to do this that would work for all media ? I understand that DVD+RW can't be closed (Always INCOMPLETE), but how about DVD-RAM and DVD-RW ?

If all these DVD media can't actually be closed, can you suggest a good method that I can use to somehow "mark" a disc as closed ?

Thanks in advance for all your help and I am really sorry about all the questions :oops:

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,

got the logs! The problem you're getting is b/s you're mixing two incomatible modes for DVD-RW. I mean first you create multisession disc and format DVD-RW media and then you try to burn in single session mode (that's why "reserve track" command fails - it always fail on formatted DVD-RW).

I agree with you it's a bit of common situation so I'd workaround such a behaviour at library level. I'll be back home tomorrow so please wait for a fix on Wed-Thu (this week).

Chris@Acubix wrote:
Hi Anton,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Chris,

yes, StarBurn documentation is 100% correct upon this. However there's a small problem. DVD+RW is always writable. And DVD-RAM is always writable. And packet formatted DVD-RW (the way we create multisession DVD-RW discs now) is always writable too. And there's no way to prevent disc/drive from doing this :(

There's nothing to be sorry with. Absolutely normal question :)

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Anton,

Sorry for all the questions, but I am getting a bit confused. Here is what the Starburn documentation says about "IsNextSessionAllowed".

IsNextSessionAllowed: BOOLEAN set to TRUE is next session is allowed on this media, FALSE if next session will not be allowed on this media.

But what you're saying is that "IsNextSessionAllowed" is actually to used to set multisession/singlesession writing modes ?

My main reason for setting "IsNextSessionAllowed" to FALSE is because I wanted to close the disc to prevent further writing. Is there a way to do this that would work for all media ? I understand that DVD+RW can't be closed (Always INCOMPLETE), but how about DVD-RAM and DVD-RW ?

If all these DVD media can't actually be closed, can you suggest a good method that I can use to somehow "mark" a disc as closed ?

Thanks in advance for all your help and I am really sorry about all the questions :oops:

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,

Chris@Acubix wrote:
Hi Anton,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:04 am 
Hi Anton,

If that is the case, why not just make Starburn ignore the "IsNextSessionAllowed" parameter for DVD ? As it is now, I would have to detect whether media is DVD or CD, then call with different "IsNextSessionAllowed" setting. This makes my code media dependent and adds unnecessary complexity.

Thanks,
Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,

yes, StarBurn documentation is 100% correct upon this. However there's a small problem. DVD+RW is always writable. And DVD-RAM is always
writable. And packet formatted DVD-RW (the way we create multisession DVD-RW discs now) is always writable too. And there's no way to prevent disc/drive from doing this :(

There's nothing to be sorry with. Absolutely normal question :)

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Anton,

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
Chris,

Chris@Acubix wrote:
Hi Anton,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:09 am 
Site Admin

Chris,

I would do exactly this in the upcoming StarBurn update. You're 100% correct upon this - just does not make sense! Please hold on, fix is under way :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:19 am 
Hi Anton,

Just tried out the latest Starburn and the problem described in this thread still exist for DVD-R :( ... Can you check ?

Thanks,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Hm... Very strange. It cannot happen as DVD-R and DVD-RW are recorded in the different way.

OK, can you:

1) Send me the logs (DVD-R can be recorded in test mode so you would not spoil the media)

2) Check DVD-RW.

And I'd try to reproduce DVD-R problem here.

Chris wrote:
Hi Anton,

Just tried out the latest Starburn and the problem described in this thread still exist for DVD-R :( ... Can you check ?

Thanks,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:45 am 
anton (staff) wrote:
Hm... Very strange. It cannot happen as DVD-R and DVD-RW are recorded in the different way.

OK, can you:

1) Send me the logs (DVD-R can be recorded in test mode so you would not spoil the media)

2) Check DVD-RW.

1) Okay, emailed the log to you already.

2) DVD-RW seems to work fine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

1) Got the log! Fortunately I have the same DVD-RW drive mounted into my machine now so I'll take care of this issue ASAP.

2) At least some progress :)

Anonymous wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:

OK, can you:

2) Check DVD-RW.

1) Okay, emailed the log to you already.

2) DVD-RW seems to work fine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Please try version 5.5.5 - I've fixed DVD-R "final close" issue. Let me know if something would not work for you. Thanks!