#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: "'failed to create empty document"?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:57 am 

I just installed the version from GAOTD (successfully, so I was told), and I get this message after the spash screen (which shows that the version is activated properly). The program never starts, and I can't get past this message. I'm running XP SP2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: "'failed to create empty document"?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:40 am 

drdcwill wrote:
I just installed the version from GAOTD (successfully, so I was told), and I get this message after the spash screen (which shows that the version is activated properly). The program never starts, and I can't get past this message. I'm running XP SP2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

When you download StarBurn for www.GiveAwayOfTheDay.com ?
What text do you see on the splash screen in the top-right corner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:57 pm 

As it appears for a second or so:

Licensed to: GATD User
Starburn version 9 'Evolution' (0x20070820)
(copyright notice)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Andrew had sent you a new download URL. The one GATD will publish soon. Please give it a try and let us know about the results :) Thanks!

drdcwill wrote:
As it appears for a second or so:

Licensed to: GATD User
Starburn version 9 'Evolution' (0x20070820)
(copyright notice)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:51 am 

I just downloaded the version I'm having problem with from GAOTD yesterday (10/26). That was the replacement for the earlier version which I hadn't tried. That link takes me to their site, which has already updated to the new program for 10/27. I'll keep looking and try a newer (third) version if one shows up. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hold on... Do you really have the same problem with the updated one?

OK, do you have Administrator rights for the account you use and install the software?

drdcwill wrote:
I just downloaded the version I'm having problem with from GAOTD yesterday (10/26). That was the replacement for the earlier version which I hadn't tried. That link takes me to their site, which has already updated to the new program for 10/27. I'll keep looking and try a newer (third) version if one shows up. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:49 am 

I never tried the earlier version - my first attempt was on 10/26 with the version on GAOTD that day. So I don't have any prior experience to say if what happened yesterday was the same as what was happening to other people with the previous version.

And yes, I have administrator privileges.

After it failed, I uninstalled it, checked and cleaned the registry, and tried reinstalling, a process I repeated several times (rebooting after each installation). I never got it to work. It's still installed and reports that it's properly licensed, but I get the same error message every time I start it. If I uninstall it again, I won't be able to install it under the GAOTD license because the period to do that has expired.

BTW, I had been using the full version of Nero, and that works flawlessly (now and before I tried Starburn), so I really don't think I have a hardware or registry problem involving the CD/DVD-DL drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:02 am 

drdcwill wrote:
I never tried the earlier version - my first attempt was on 10/26 with the version on GAOTD that day. So I don't have any prior experience to say if what happened yesterday was the same as what was happening to other people with the previous version.

And yes, I have administrator privileges.

After it failed, I uninstalled it, checked and cleaned the registry, and tried reinstalling, a process I repeated several times (rebooting after each installation). I never got it to work. It's still installed and reports that it's properly licensed, but I get the same error message every time I start it. If I uninstall it again, I won't be able to install it under the GAOTD license because the period to do that has expired.

BTW, I had been using the full version of Nero, and that works flawlessly (now and before I tried Starburn), so I really don't think I have a hardware or registry problem involving the CD/DVD-DL drive.

Hello,

I think you are right, it's not problem of your hardware or registry.
Can you help to solve this problem?
I'll send to you debug version of StarBurn in monday for finding-out of the possible reason of this error.
Please write letter to me and i'll send debug version of StarBurn with instructions.

Thank you for cooperation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:55 am 

Yes, I'm willing to help you. I'll send you an e-mail. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Thank you very much for the cooperation! :)

drdcwill wrote:
Yes, I'm willing to help you. I'll send you an e-mail. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:40 pm 

Hi,

I've accidentally found a way to reproduce this error with StarBurn 9.8 (20080120):

Thanks to some glitch (or me beeing half-asleep) my new WindowsXP installation got installed to F:\Windows. Starburn installs just fine, but on starting it gives me above error message.

Now when I plug in my USB drive which gets mounted as drive C:, StarBurn starts up fine and runs properly. Seems to me as if you developers hardcoded some path to C:\... instead of using the variable %SYSTEMDRIVE% (or something like that)? :)

Anyway, StarBurn is great!

Cheers,
Felix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

We'll check this out but if there are any hardcoded paths I'm gonna kick Andrew :)