#1 Burning Software

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Issues compiling under Delphi
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:48 pm 
Hi

I had some issues with the Delphi GUI example under Delphi 5. Firstly it wouldn't comple because of an issue with the parameters of StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_CloseSession. I just commented it out intending to come back to it later but in the end i never got as far as burning becuase I couldn't get it to find my dvd burner.

I got the following error:

Cancel_Sample:FindCallback(): Probing SCSI address 1:0:0:0 for CD/DVD device...
Cancel_Sample:FindCallback(): StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_Create() failed, exception 21, status 31, text ""

Any ideas?

Post subject: Burner Model
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:59 pm 
I should also have mentioned that the DVD burner is an internal drive of a Toshiba P20 laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:07 am 
Site Admin

You did not register the library properly (EN_REGISTRATION_FAILED - eveything was in header and help - no need to ask me...). Try looking at Delphi samples shipped together with the StarBurn SDK before coding anything yourself. And use our code as template. It would same us all A LOT of time. Also please check this forum about how to capture library debug output logs. Providing just console output is usually not enough (your current case was too easy one). And I did not get what kind of problems did you get with CloseSession(...) API call. It's parameters did not change for last 2 years or so.

Post subject: Uh, OK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:49 am 
I guess it was optimistic to expect the sample application to work out of the box :lol:

You suggest I try the console applications, I would point out that the old adage, "A picture is worth a thousand words" holds just as true when talking about graphical UI's vs text based ones.

Console sample applications only show whether a product works or not.

GUI based samples, OTOH, also show how us how easy it would be to implement the code into our own applications (assuming the application has a GUI, which is becoming increasing common these days :wink:)

I appreciate that I could pore over the help manual for a few hours to get up to speed, but at the moment I am simply trying to determine the best solution of the three burning libraries I am evaluating and yours was the only one where I was unable to create a working GUI example within the first ten minutes.

Of course it is possible that you are making it deliberately complex to weed out the less committed developers :wink:

Post subject: Re: Uh, OK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:28 am 
Site Admin

We're providing samples for the library and not trying to teach you every single MFC or VCL programming trick we've learned.

DelphiGuy wrote:
I guess it was optimistic to expect the sample application to work out of the box :lol:

You suggest I try the console applications, I would point out that the old adage, "A picture is worth a thousand words" holds just as true when talking about graphical UI's vs text based ones.

Console sample applications only show whether a product works or not.

GUI based samples, OTOH, also show how us how easy it would be to implement the code into our own applications (assuming the application has a GUI, which is becoming increasing common these days :wink:)

I appreciate that I could pore over the help manual for a few hours to get up to speed, but at the moment I am simply trying to determine the best solution of the three burning libraries I am evaluating and yours was the only one where I was unable to create a working GUI example within the first ten minutes.

Of course it is possible that you are making it deliberately complex to weed out the less committed developers :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:25 pm 
Sorry Anton, I went with a competitive solution. It doesn't have anywhere near the feature set of StarBurn and was more expensive, but it took less than an hour to implement their sample into my own application (without even having to look at a manual).

StarBurn looks like a great product, and I'm sure once you have a more approachable set of examples it will do really well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

StarBurn is professional toolkit. And like any other pro tool is not very easy to use (that's why we offer free implementation and customization services for commercial versions). I really hope you'll have good level of support with our competitors :)

DelphiGuy wrote:
Sorry Anton, I went with a competitive solution. It doesn't have anywhere near the feature set of StarBurn and was more expensive, but it took less than an hour to implement their sample into my own application (without even having to look at a manual).

StarBurn looks like a great product, and I'm sure once you have a more approachable set of examples it will do really well.