#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Warning if non-empty disc?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:06 pm 
My program asks the user to insert an empty disc which I am then going to write my data onto. I want to be able to warn the user if they insert a non-empty disc.

So what is the best way to determine if a disc is not empty? I can call StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetDiscInformation(), but then should I check m__UCHAR__DiscStatus, m__UCHAR__LastSessionStatus, or both? Or should I call StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetTrackInformation with the track # set to TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE, and check if the session # is not 1?

I would like to detect all kinds of different non-empty discs - DAO, TAO, SAO, music, data, etc. ...

Post subject: Re: Warning if non-empty disc?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

As you've mentioned there could be a lot of ways doing this. I prefer myself to call GetTrackInformation( ... ) passing TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE and check NWA for that track. If it's >0 this means disc has some data on it and is not blank.

betty crokker wrote:
My program asks the user to insert an empty disc which I am then going to write my data onto. I want to be able to warn the user if they insert a non-empty disc.

So what is the best way to determine if a disc is not empty? I can call StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetDiscInformation(), but then should I check m__UCHAR__DiscStatus, m__UCHAR__LastSessionStatus, or both? Or should I call StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetTrackInformation with the track # set to TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE, and check if the session # is not 1?

I would like to detect all kinds of different non-empty discs - DAO, TAO, SAO, music, data, etc. ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:31 pm 
Thanks!

What would it mean if m__BOOLEAN__IsNextWritableAddressValid is false (in TRACK_INFORMATION)? Does that mean the CD is completely unformatted, or that it's completely full?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

This means track is not blank (recorded). GetTrackInformation( TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE ) would fail on "closed" disc.

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks!

What would it mean if m__BOOLEAN__IsNextWritableAddressValid is false (in TRACK_INFORMATION)? Does that mean the CD is completely unformatted, or that it's completely full?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:15 pm 
Sorry, I'm a little slow today (it is Monday, after all) ...

So if I call GetTrackInformation( TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE ) and it fails (does not return EN_SUCCESS), that means that the disc has been closed, so I should go ahead and check the TOC to see what's on the disc.

If GetTrackInformation( TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE ) succeeds (returns EN_SUCCESS) but m__BOOLEAN__IsNextWritableAddressValid is FALSE, that means the invisible track has been recorded? So the disc is not empty, and I should check the TOC to see what's on the disc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:31 am 
Site Admin

1) Yes, EXACTLY!

2) It just cannot happen. I've never seen this ever :)

Anonymous wrote:
Sorry, I'm a little slow today (it is Monday, after all) ...

So if I call GetTrackInformation( TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE ) and it fails (does not return EN_SUCCESS), that means that the disc has been closed, so I should go ahead and check the TOC to see what's on the disc.

If GetTrackInformation( TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE ) succeeds (returns EN_SUCCESS) but m__BOOLEAN__IsNextWritableAddressValid is FALSE, that means the invisible track has been recorded? So the disc is not empty, and I should check the TOC to see what's on the disc?