#1 Burning Software

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Big Files to DVD-RW Problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:04 am 
Hi,

I seem to have a problem burning very big file to DVD-RW. When I try to burn a file of size 4,566,217 KB to DVD-RW using the Starburn sample TrackAtOnceFromTree.exe, everything looks like it completed successfully, no errors whatsoever, but when I check the DVD, the size of the file was only
371,913 KB.

This problem seem to occur only if you're burning ONE very big file. If I burn several big files that add up to about the same size, I did not see the problem.

Any idea what might be wrong ?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Regards,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Big Files to DVD-RW Problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:29 am 
Site Admin

ISO9660/Joliet file system does not support file sizes larger then 2GB. You seems to be creating file system using "ignore errors" option (in the other case 2GB+ file would raise and exception).

Right way would be either provide own splitting mechanism (break file into set of <2GB files) or use UDF. UDF does not have any reasonable file size limitations (make sure to use pure UDF and not DVD-Video, as it has "bridge" of ISO and the same 2GB file limits).

Chris wrote:
Hi,

I seem to have a problem burning very big file to DVD-RW. When I try to burn a file of size 4,566,217 KB to DVD-RW using the Starburn sample TrackAtOnceFromTree.exe, everything looks like it completed successfully, no errors whatsoever, but when I check the DVD, the size of the file was only
371,913 KB.

This problem seem to occur only if you're burning ONE very big file. If I burn several big files that add up to about the same size, I did not see the problem.

Regards,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Big Files to DVD-RW Problem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:23 am 
Hi Anton,

Are there limitations of UDF that we should be aware of ? Like, is it properly support in various versions of Windows ? My search shows that it is support from Win98 onwards ?

Secondly, are there better examples of using pure UDF other than the UDFBuildImage sample ? I noticed there are still calls to ISO9660JolietFileTree APIs ?

Thanks for all your help.

Chris

anton (staff) wrote:
ISO9660/Joliet file system does not support file sizes larger then 2GB. You seems to be creating file system using "ignore errors" option (in the other case 2GB+ file would raise and exception).

Right way would be either provide own splitting mechanism (break file into set of <2GB files) or use UDF. UDF does not have any reasonable file size limitations (make sure to use pure UDF and not DVD-Video, as it has "bridge" of ISO and the same 2GB file limits).

Chris wrote:
Hi,

371,913 KB.

Regards,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:45 am 
It would also help if you can provide some info on how to go about creating multisession UDF format DVDs.

Thanks,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Chris,

unfortunately StarBurn does not support multisession UDF volumes for now. We have new codebase with this feature but it's in early Alpha and would be available for evaluation only after this summer.

Chris wrote:
It would also help if you can provide some info on how to go about creating multisession UDF format DVDs.

Thanks,
Chris