#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Disc free space, erase time, BUP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:22 am 

Hello,

1. I don't know how to check blank/erased disc free space.
I tried with StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetTrackInformation, invisible track number and m__LONG__FreeLBs, but this works only when at least one track exists. When no tracks are on the disc, fn returns 0. How to get free blocks of erased, empty disc ?

2. If i want to do erase progress bar, there is a way to check for quick erase time ? Full erase time, i think, i can calculate as disc size / current write speed. Or maybe there is a bettery way ?

3. StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetBUP, returns FALSE on both variables: p__PBOOLEAN__IsBUPEnabled and p__PBOOLEAN__IsBUPSupported, but i know that my drive supports BurnProof: LITE-ON COMBO LTC-48161H.

Greetings

Post subject: Re: Disc free space, erase time, BUP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:47 am 
Site Admin

1. You need to provide TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE (0xFF in hex) to StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetTrackInformation(...). And analyze m__LONG__FreeLBs (just as you've pointed). See our burning samples they show how to do this.

2. Exactly! The problem is very few devices report percents of operation completion so more generic way would be calculate approx. time yourself (Nero is not shamed to do this so why shouldn't we?) on "number of bytes to burn or erase" / "burning speed".

3. This means you do not have manual control over "buffer underrun protection" technology on this device. Nothing to be afraid with :)

Thanks!

Vetch wrote:
Hello,

1. I don't know how to check blank/erased disc free space.
I tried with StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetTrackInformation, invisible track number and m__LONG__FreeLBs, but this works only when at least one track exists. When no tracks are on the disc, fn returns 0. How to get free blocks of erased, empty disc ?

2. If i want to do erase progress bar, there is a way to check for quick erase time ? Full erase time, i think, i can calculate as disc size / current write speed. Or maybe there is a bettery way ?

3. StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetBUP, returns FALSE on both variables: p__PBOOLEAN__IsBUPEnabled and p__PBOOLEAN__IsBUPSupported, but i know that my drive supports BurnProof: LITE-ON COMBO LTC-48161H.

Greetings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:04 am 

anton (staff) wrote:
1. You need to provide TRACK_NUMBER_INVISIBLE (0xFF in hex) to StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_GetTrackInformation(...). And analyze m__LONG__FreeLBs (just as you've pointed). See our burning samples they show how to do this.

Hmm... i done this, and still getting 0. I try this today in home again :-)

anton (staff) wrote:
2. Exactly! The problem is very few devices report percents of operation completion so more generic way would be calculate approx. time yourself (Nero is not shamed to do this so why shouldn't we?) on "number of bytes to burn or erase" / "burning speed".

Hah, yes, i tested Nero and think the same :-)

anton (staff) wrote:
3. This means you do not have manual control over "buffer underrun protection" technology on this device. Nothing to be afraid with :)

yes, Lite-On also claims in it's "SmartBurn" info tool, that Lite-On drives has BUP always turned on. But i wanted to hear it from you :-)

Thanks for help

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:15 am 
Site Admin

1. It *supposed* to work. If you've found a condition you believe is a bug -- we'll fix it :)

2. EXACTLY! :)

3. We'll consider changing the name from "BUP" to "ManuallyControlledBUP" or something like this. Not to scare the users :)

Vetch wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:

Hmm... i done this, and still getting 0. I try this today in home again :-)

anton (staff) wrote:

Hah, yes, i tested Nero and think the same :-)

anton (staff) wrote:

yes, Lite-On also claims in it's "SmartBurn" info tool, that Lite-On drives has BUP always turned on. But i wanted to hear it from you :-)

Thanks for help

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:12 am 

anton (staff) wrote:
1. It *supposed* to work. If you've found a condition you believe is a bug -- we'll fix it :)

You right :-)

To get free space of blank disc, i first tried to read TOC (that of course not exists on blank disc :-)). There was error reading TOC, and next fn that reads "invisible" track information was never called. Now is ok and it works great :-)

Thanks !

Post subject: is StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_Blank synchron?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:46 pm 

As I know now, my Writer isn't reporting percentages on erasing a CD-RW.
The Callback-function is not even called once!
So it seems (and my prog acts like) that StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_Blank blocks the applications message-queue. Do I really have to embed this call in an extra thread to handle the Cancel-Button in my Erase-Dialog?

many greetings
Spin

Post subject: Re: is StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_Blank synchron?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

basically it's up to drive -- block command or not. We're trying to avoid blocking by async processing of BLANK. But drive *CAN* treat async command as sync thus preventing from return.

I would consider placing erase code into the thread. It's not a good idea to cancel erase process. You can try by issuing EJECT to the drive but this is also far from the best idea.

Thanks!

SpinDoctor wrote:
As I know now, my Writer isn't reporting percentages on erasing a CD-RW.
The Callback-function is not even called once!
So it seems (and my prog acts like) that StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_Blank blocks the applications message-queue. Do I really have to embed this call in an extra thread to handle the Cancel-Button in my Erase-Dialog?

many greetings
Spin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:02 pm 

anton (staff) wrote:
Hi,

basically it's up to drive -- block command or not. We're trying to avoid blocking by async processing of BLANK. But drive *CAN* treat async command as sync thus preventing from return.

I would consider placing erase code into the thread. It's not a good idea to cancel erase process. You can try by issuing EJECT to the drive but this is also far from the best idea.

Thanks!

OK then...
I've seen the cancel button in other applications and, even if I thought that a disc that is canceld during erasing might be in some kinda critical condition, I just wanted to have one, too.
I will now make the dialog not cancelable.

Many thanks.
Spin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Yes they have. But do they always leave the system in stable state after cancel done? I think we can add the code to cancel the blocked erase. Do you want this feature to be added? (for burn process it does exist).

SpinDoctor wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

OK then...
I've seen the cancel button in other applications and, even if I thought that a disc that is canceld during erasing might be in some kinda critical condition, I just wanted to have one, too.
I will now make the dialog not cancelable.

Many thanks.
Spin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:41 pm 

anton (staff) wrote:
Yes they have. But do they always leave the system in stable state after cancel done? I think we can add the code to cancel the blocked erase. Do you want this feature to be added? (for burn process it does exist).

no, really not needed.

I'd like to say, that erasing a disc should not be cancelable, like some other things, end-users might know (converting to FAT32/NTFS ...).
If one WILL have a cancel-button, he/she can implement a worker-thread...I won't! It's very OK with me.

Thanks
Spin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Well... "It's always good to have an option" (c) do not remember who

So I'll think we'll add "cancel" code to the erase process. Like _Cancel(...) we have for burning and file system image creation ones :)

Thanks!

SpinDoctor wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:

no, really not needed.

I'd like to say, that erasing a disc should not be cancelable, like some other things, end-users might know (converting to FAT32/NTFS ...).
If one WILL have a cancel-button, he/she can implement a worker-thread...I won't! It's very OK with me.

Thanks
Spin

Post subject: Add a call to CallBack during Blank function to animate GIF
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:47 am 
Hi,

I would like to animate a GIF image during blank function.
I use Delphi, and if i made Application.ProcessMessages in the CallBack, it allows GIf to be animated (for example it works fine during burn, given the Callback is called).
So would it be possible to add this call to the Callback ?

Thank you

Regards

Laurent

Post subject: Re: Add a call to CallBack during Blank function to animate
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:57 am 
Site Admin

It's a very **BAD** idea to have time consuming code inside callbacks. They are provided to do short "something" (like signalling event or whatever...). If you're calling long pieces of code - you're begging for troubles.

i110_laurent wrote:
Hi,

I would like to animate a GIF image during blank function.
I use Delphi, and if i made Application.ProcessMessages in the CallBack, it allows GIf to be animated (for example it works fine during burn, given the Callback is called).
So would it be possible to add this call to the Callback ?

Thank you

Regards

Laurent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:03 am 
Hi,

It's just to animate a progress bar (and not a GIF) and I saw in your previous posts that it is possible to make this call to the callback. So I don't ask if it's good but just if it's possible because it's useful even if you want to calculate a percentage...
So if it's not a big change to do this, can you do it?

thanks

regards

Laurent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Can we do WHAT? :-) Callback function bodies are supplied by implementation programmer (you in our case) and not by RDS staff. We only provide you with an example of how to do this. Generally speaking you can have ANY function body you want. We just RECOMMEND you to keep it as short and as fast as possible. Or did I get your question wrong?

i110_laurent wrote:
Hi,

It's just to animate a progress bar (and not a GIF) and I saw in your previous posts that it is possible to make this call to the callback. So I don't ask if it's good but just if it's possible because it's useful even if you want to calculate a percentage...
So if it's not a big change to do this, can you do it?

thanks

regards

Laurent