#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Replacement for DuplexSecure SPTD?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:25 am 

Several of our customers - mainly with HP laptops with HP 3D Drive Guard installed - get a BSOD after installing SPTD under Windows 8.1 Update 1 and then rebooting. Thus I and several other developers contacted DuplexSecure but didn't get any satisfying response. The last answer is a few months old and was "We've tried to contact HP.... No luck for now. They just link to common customers service though we need more technical contacts for collaboration." (http://forum.duplexsecure.com/showpost.php?p=20131&postcount=23)
Since then we've been stuck, that forum is full of spam and seems to be abandonend.

Meanwhile Microsoft seems to just disable SPTD on these systems which prevents the BSOD but also removes the ability from our software to utilize it.

Is this problem known to you? Is there any information what can be done or is there something that can replace SPTD?

Best regards
pfennig

Post subject: Re: Replacement for DuplexSecure SPTD?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

1) I cannot track you by forum registration e-mail as StarBurn OEM customer. Please drop me an message with your credentials so I could verify who you are.

2) I've been talking to Duplex Secure guys in personal few weeks ago (we share other projects with them). They are doing good. I'll ask about SPTD support and future and their support forum. Thanks for escalating this!

3) If we'll see at some point SPTD is more of an issue then a fix we'll replace it with other components or will write our own one. For now there are not so many complains. So... More feedback is required :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Update: I've contacted DuplexSecure developers and they had confirmed bunch of things:

1) It's HP issue. They have crash dumps, traces and debugging information to prove that. They had contacted HP but HP is not interested to fix their broken code. If you want I can provide you with more detailed information by e-mail and also bring you in touch with all responsible persons.

2) As it's HP issue replacing SPTD with any other similar software is not going to help - same BSODs because of the same issues (improperly hooked IRP_MJ_SCSI driver entry point if you care).

3) As a workaround you can completely disable SPTD and use SPTI by default. However properly functional set of features with broken filter driver from HP enabled IS NOT GUARANTEED.

Hope this helped ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

More updates:

1) My MSFT connections cannot help with this issue... :(

2) Duplex Secure are releasing 2.xx of SPTD soon (with included Windows 10 support). Completely re-written. We'll see how well it would work :)