#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Updates?
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:26 pm 

We've been using StarBurn for the DVD burning portion of VideoReDo, a relatively popular video editing app, for many years. We've always had some issues, but in most cases having the user switch from the default SPTI protocol over to SPTD would fix them. However in the last year or so we've been seeing more and more problem reports from users (mostly Win7 users) where switching to SPTD is not working. It's not a universal problem, but it's common enough that we've actually had to add a backdoor to the program which bypasses our StarBurn based burning app and allows the user to use [ removed ] instead. Hardly ideal for a commercial application.

Now we're at a point where we're tired of the problems and we're starting to look at other SDKs. But before we make a switch I'd like to know if there are any updates available, or coming, to StarBurn that might help alleviate these problem for us? We're using the DLL version in a VS2005 C++ app. (v12.0.0.272) According to the website "Trident II", released over a year ago, is still the newest version and I see nowhere to download any sort of patch or minor version updates, so I assume I'm using the most recent version. However if I'm not I'd appreciate it if you could provide a link to an update so I can send it to some of our afflicted users and see if it helps the problem.

Thanks,
Dan

Post subject: Re: Updates?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

So the problem is... In SPTD? In StarBurn? In support? If it's SPTD you need to get latest version directly from www.duplexsecure.com site. Download is public and free. Ship always the latest version. StarBurn? Support? Did you report problem we did not solve? Or did you get episodic complain fom user you did not report and forward to support? Or did you report to support something we did ignore?

We'll do provide new version of StarBurn SDK core soon but if you did not report anything it's not going to help much to you. Or is it "I just want newer model of the car b/c my one is already 1 year old". We don't have any issues with you buying another SDK from anybody. We just want to understand what the problem really is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

...and a lot of people here do use custom experimental builds with their REPORTED issues fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:03 pm 

The problem is StarBurn. We typically see three problems....

1) Burn or verification fails
2) StarBurn will not recognize media in the drive
3) StarBurn can not detect the state of the drive causing a loop of the load/eject button

We do NOT use SPTD by default. I know it's your preferred protocol, but we don't want to have to support or distribute it. We only suggest users install SPTD if they're having some sort of problem. It fixes those problems maybe 30% of the time. When it doesn't then we just suggest the user switches to [ link removed ], which thus far has worked 100% of the time.

[ text removed ]

Thanks anyway,
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:28 am 
Site Admin

1) There's a standard way to report problem. It's submitting log file to support staff. Telling something like "burn fails" has ZERO sense as there are tons of reasons why it did. No log = no help. No issue reported = no issue fixed. Simple.

2) Next update will NOT work without SPTD and we'll install it ALWAYS in silent mode w/o even letting you or anybody else. It's the way we work. Nearly all of the burning apps use this or other kernel transport.

3) "All goats have a beard. I have a beard. So I am a goat" (c) ... If other app did not fail where StarBurn did it DOES NOT mean it's better. It only means for this particular case it's better. Search forum for your app of choice to see how many issues their own users report.

4) There ARE updates. People who report issues do have their issues fixed and have their private builds (search this forum). People who do not report issues do not get updates as we don't have any telepathic abilities. Unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:17 am 

Hello, Dan

Could you provide us with a more detailed information about your problems with StarBurnX and we will try to solve these problems ASAP!!!

Regards,

Dmitry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:07 pm 

anton (staff) wrote:
1) There's a standard way to report problem. It's submitting log file to support staff. Telling something like "burn fails" has ZERO sense as there are tons of reasons why it did. No log = no help. No issue reported = no issue fixed. Simple.

I understand that. However that process is very cumbersome, especially when dealing with customers who are not very computer literate. If I could reproduce the problems on my own PC then I would gladly send you the logs and do whatever testing you need. But when I'm acting as an intermediate between you and a customer it's very difficult to make sure you get the information you need from them. Plus our product has a short 15 day trial window so unless we can get the problem fixed very quickly we're going to lose a customer.

anton (staff) wrote:
2) Next update will NOT work without SPTD and we'll install it ALWAYS in silent mode w/o even letting you or anybody else. It's the way we work. Nearly all of the burning apps use this or other kernel transport.

How is it going to install SPTD without rebooting? One of the main reasons we don't install SPTD by default is because we do not want to force users to reboot their PC after install. If the new version requires a reboot then we're probably not going to be able to use it.

anton (staff) wrote:
3) "All goats have a beard. I have a beard. So I am a goat" (c) ... If other app did not fail where StarBurn did it DOES NOT mean it's better. It only means for this particular case it's better. Search forum for your app of choice to see how many issues their own users report.

I'm not saying [ ...] is perfect, but in my experience every time StarBurn has failed [ ... ] works. It's anecdotal I know, but it was consistent enough that we added an option to replace our StarBurn based burner with [ ... ] in our product so the user had some sort of workable option.

anton (staff) wrote:
4) There ARE updates. People who report issues do have their issues fixed and have their private builds (search this forum). People who do not report issues do not get updates as we don't have any telepathic abilities. Unfortunately.

If they're not public then how am I suppose to get these updates to distribute to my customers? Is it my responsibility to contact you and ask for them? The only version I see posted anywhere on the website is the one released in February of 2010.

dima (staff) wrote:
Could you provide us with a more detailed information about your problems with StarBurnX and we will try to solve these problems ASAP!!!

We're not using StarBurnX. We're using the low level DLL in a C++ app.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

You don't want to participate in pinpointing and fixing issues your customers have so how do you think we should make everything running?

StarBurn would silently use SPTI until user would reboot next time. Then it would automatically switch to SPTD. Transport selection would be ignored for V13 and up.

Builds are not public but you can distribute them to your customers. The whole idea is to get feedback from users and confirm the issue is gone.

It does not matter what you use StarBurn or StarBurnX. Game rules are still the same.

== thread closed as non-constructive ==

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]