#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Burning Mode and Verification questions.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:52 pm 

Hi there!

Sorry to disturb you, but I have some questions I can't answer using the forum
(yeah, current forum search system works so bad that it's almost impossible to find anything: almost all my requests are filtered away (the following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words) and I can't find anything!)

So, to the questions:

1) I have a problem with Disc At Once PQ: it, actually, does not work in my application and in DataBurner Sample also. I attached logs that should illustrate this issue.
The question is following: Can I somehow detect that this mode is not supported by current Disc Drive (As I understand the problem) and don't show it in the list at all? Might there be some rules that will help me to make a choice?

2) About the multisession: As I've got the idea from the http://www.starburnsoftware.com/forum/starburn-sdk-f3/cannot-create-multisession-disk-t337.html , only Track At Once is mode that supports multisession. all the rest are only for a single session disc. Is it true? Should I just don't show this modes when there is some data already written on the disc?

I was expecting that Session At Once is also multisession mode: it can allow or block the next session, has the pointer to the disc layout info. I was thinking that the problem is that I just don't know how to fill this disc layout info. But, as I see, it's impossible at all... am I right? Or is it possible to make multisession with SAO? Or I have to use TAO after SAO also?

3) The third question is about verification or future burning: It looks like before future burning/reading/verifying the data, SOMETIMES I have to Eject/Load the disc. As I detected, it is required when the disc was burned with the Disc At Once RAW PW. Is it the only format that requires this process? Or there are some other rules when I have to Eject/Load the disc?

4) When I burned the CD disc (I've tested on CD-RW only) with SAO and next session disabled, StarBrun API always reports that the disc size is equal to the size of the written data. And, therefore, when I try to erase disc, erasing time predicting algorithm works not correct as it thinks that the size of the disc it less than the actual size. Should I provide logs here also or it is expected behavior? What should I do in this case?
Actually, Erasing sample also waits for a long time with the 100% progress bar as it works the same way...

Thanks a lot for your answers to all my questions, hope you will help me a lot. ;-)
I'm not in a hurry, you don't have to answer immediately.

And, I think I should mention that i'm working with the v10.5 Tomahawk.

Attachments:
File comment: Disc-at-Once PQ error log.
DAO_PQ_LOGS.rar [4.71 KiB]
Downloaded 1078 times

Post subject: Re: Burning Mode and Verification questions.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 am 

Hello,

1)You can get supported write modes by calling StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_ProbeSupportedWriteModes()
Some drives report supporting Disc At Once PQ but really this drive dose not support this mode :) And we can't do anything with this :(

2)Second session for multisession disc can be burned only in TAO mode.
Some drives support multisession if first session was in SAO mode but it is work not for all drives.
If you want to guarantee success mutlisession burning you must burn first session in TAO mode.

3)For DAO and SAO mode you need to do eject/load for TAO do not need.

4)Erasing time can't be calculated exactly by technical reason, but you can do this approximately. About CD-R/RW case you can do this assuming that full this size is 700 MB ( in most cases this will be like the truth :) ).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:06 pm 

andrey(staff) wrote:
Hello,
1)You can get supported write modes by calling StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_ProbeSupportedWriteModes()
Some drives report supporting Disc At Once PQ but really this drive dose not support this mode :) And we can't do anything with this :(

So, the best way is just to avoid using the Disc At once PQ? Are there any advantages of this mode or it can be disabled without loss of functionality?

andrey(staff) wrote:
2)Second session for multisession disc can be burned only in TAO mode.
Some drives support multisession if first session was in SAO mode but it is work not for all drives.
If you want to guarantee success mutlisession burning you must burn first session in TAO mode.

So, I'll provide multisession ability only for the TAO mode. I've got the point.

andrey(staff) wrote:
4)Erasing time can't be calculated exactly by technical reason, but you can do this approximately. About CD-R/RW case you can do this assuming that full this size is 700 MB ( in most cases this will be like the truth :) ).

But there are cd-r/rw discs on 190/210/650/800 MB also...
Is it true that I can't get the disc size when it is finalized in the SAO mode? AFAIK, other applications show correct size of the media... Or I am mistaken? I'll check in evening and report if it's not true and other burning applications also report incorrect size for such discs.

In any case, thanks again for the answers!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:17 am 

Hello

2) DAO mode is generally used to burn audio CD discs. DAO-PW mode "extends" the PQ mode and allows to keep extended graphic and text features ( on an audio CD ) such as CD+G (karaoke) and CD-Text (including Track Name for each CD track, Album, Performer, Songwriter, Composer, Arranger and Message for the whole disc etc.);

4) If you are using the StarBurn SDK Core API ( not the StarBurnX ) you may try to extract extended information about disc ( including the total disc time ) from ATIP ( see the ReadAtip function ) or calculate erasing time ( for all types of CD discs ) on the basis of max possible size ~800mb

Regards,

Dmitry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:42 pm 

Thanks a lot!

I've got that I don't need DAO modes at all, at least now. :-)

I'll try to work with the StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_ReadATIP function. It looks like it returns just the raw data, without any structure... hope this http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-38 or this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff551375(v=VS.85).aspx will help me :-)
or, at least, show the direction where to continue digging.

Thanks again, I'll try to do anything with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:49 pm 

Hello,

Notify us if you will find solution! :)

P.s. do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions!

Regards,

Dmitry