#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Starburn pre-sales technical / questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:24 am 

I am using StarburnX12 Trident II 20100110

I have run into a few issues and have a few pre-sales questions

1. I have developed software using StarBurn12X.dll. Also on the same system my product is being installed on is a product using an older version of StarBurnX dll (10.5) Registering the newer DLL causes the software using the older DLL to have an invalid "Magic Number" message according to the client. I believe this is invalid because via the registry the new dll (12) is loaded and the license in the other product is incorrect. I had the client re-register the older dll and all was fine with the other product. My product failed at this point because the registry was pointing to the old 10.5 version of the software.

2. I have tried using the manifest for registration free COM, which would remove the issue mentioned above, but I get a message that side-by-side configuration is incorrect. How can I resolve this? I noticed there has been recent (Feb-2010) discussion in another thread that registration free COM was not working. Has than been any progress on this issue?

3. Without registration free COM, how can I be sure the installation and registration of starburnX12.dll with my software won't break existing software products using different versions of the starburnX.dll?

4. In addition, how can I be sure my application won't stop working because some other application installs a different version (older or newer) of starburn and registers it.

Any solutions?

Post subject: Re: Starburn pre-sales technical / questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:06 pm 

Hello,

2) No, problem with StarBurnX manifest still here! We are trying to resolve this problem ASAP!

3) If StarBurnX activated without specifying number of version StarBurnX the last installed version of StarBurnX will be activated!! So if you want to use namely v12 you should active StarBurnX v12 :)

C++ example:

#import "progid:StarBurnX.StarBurnX.12"

4) Since v12 StarBurnX object provides new method GetVersion. This method provides information about version and build number of currently activated StarBurnX object. Check this information to be sure that activated StarBurnX is what you really expected.

So ... I think the free COM registration approach is most useful way to work with COM!

Regards,

Dmitry