#1 Burning Software

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Burned disk not recognized, not finalized
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:48 am 

I downloaded StarBurn today and burned my first disk. It was track-at-once. I didn't see a way to tell it to finalize the disk, so I just burned it and later tried to read it from another machine. It would not recognize the disk. I put it back in the machine I burned it from and it would not read it, either. I started up SB on that machine again and figured I could finalize the disk, but I see no way to do that. I've looked through the help and don't see it and have search on "finalize" here and didn't find anything that helped. Perhaps I'm just missing it, but in other apps it's been a prominent thing ("finalize after burn" or some such terminology). Can someone please tell me how to finalize this disk (at present, I assuming that's the issue)?

Thanks,

Russell

Post subject: Re: Burned disk not recognized, not finalized
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:51 pm 

rcampbell12 wrote:
I downloaded StarBurn today and burned my first disk. It was track-at-once. I didn't see a way to tell it to finalize the disk, so I just burned it and later tried to read it from another machine. It would not recognize the disk. I put it back in the machine I burned it from and it would not read it, either. I started up SB on that machine again and figured I could finalize the disk, but I see no way to do that. I've looked through the help and don't see it and have search on "finalize" here and didn't find anything that helped. Perhaps I'm just missing it, but in other apps it's been a prominent thing ("finalize after burn" or some such terminology). Can someone please tell me how to finalize this disk (at present, I assuming that's the issue)?

Thanks,

Russell

Hello Russell,

For this please turn on "Expert Mode" (star icon on toolbar).
In this mode in Burn Data wizard you can see "Burning Options" page. On this page you must uncheck
"Create multisession disc" options. If this options unchecked then disc will be finalized.

Description of Burn Data wizard in "Expert Mode" you can find by this link:
"http://www.rocketdivision.com/starburn/help/databurnerwizard.htm"

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:22 pm 

Thanks, Andrey. I had actually turned on expert mode and gone back through the wizard and didn't see it, but I see now I had not gone far enough (I think I was a little worried about messing up the disk - I didn't want to have to burn it again - but maybe I was being overly cautious).

Anyway, is there just a way to finalize the disk now without putting anything else on it? I can just drop something else onto it and burn it with multisession unchecked, but would like to know if there is a way to finalize the disk without doing that.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:30 am 

rcampbell12 wrote:
Thanks, Andrey. I had actually turned on expert mode and gone back through the wizard and didn't see it, but I see now I had not gone far enough (I think I was a little worried about messing up the disk - I didn't want to have to burn it again - but maybe I was being overly cautious).

Anyway, is there just a way to finalize the disk now without putting anything else on it? I can just drop something else onto it and burn it with multisession unchecked, but would like to know if there is a way to finalize the disk without doing that.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Understand you.
Page "Burning Options" with check box "Create multisession disc" situated after "File Selection Page" page.

Unfortunately now you can do this only by unchecking "Create multisession disc" on "Burning Options" page :(
Possible in future we add some wizard with advanced operations (including disc finalization separated form burning).

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:44 pm 

Ok, thanks. I believe that Nero and Roxio can finalize a disk without making you put anything else on it, so it would be nice if StarBurn could.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:50 pm 

rcampbell12 wrote:
Ok, thanks. I believe that Nero and Roxio can finalize a disk without making you put anything else on it, so it would be nice if StarBurn could.

Ok, please inform about results.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:50 am 

Well, I added some more folders to the disk and burned it. I thought I still had expert mode turned on - I don't remember turning it off - but it was not turned on and it just started burning the disk before I got to indicate that I didn't want a multisession disk. But it must retain that setting somehow, because it did seem to close the disk after burning. However, when I inserted it in another computer, it would only show the first folder I burned and not any of the others. I've really never understood multisession disks. I've had no desire to do anything other than burn a bunch of files and folders onto a CD or DVD and finalize it right then, so I just haven't paid much attention to what that's all about. So I ended up with a disk where I thought I'd be able to see all the folders I put on it, but I can only see the first folder I put on it. I'm not sure if I did a multisession disk before with Nero or Roxio, but I do know that I was able to finalize the disk without adding files and I was able to see all the files I put on it. Perhaps you can tell me why I can't see the files I burned onto the disk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 am 

rcampbell12 wrote:
Well, I added some more folders to the disk and burned it. I thought I still had expert mode turned on - I don't remember turning it off - but it was not turned on and it just started burning the disk before I got to indicate that I didn't want a multisession disk. But it must retain that setting somehow, because it did seem to close the disk after burning. However, when I inserted it in another computer, it would only show the first folder I burned and not any of the others. I've really never understood multisession disks. I've had no desire to do anything other than burn a bunch of files and folders onto a CD or DVD and finalize it right then, so I just haven't paid much attention to what that's all about. So I ended up with a disk where I thought I'd be able to see all the folders I put on it, but I can only see the first folder I put on it. I'm not sure if I did a multisession disk before with Nero or Roxio, but I do know that I was able to finalize the disk without adding files and I was able to see all the files I put on it. Perhaps you can tell me why I can't see the files I burned onto the disk.

Hello,

If you want to burn finalized disc then please use "Burn Data" wizard with turned ON Expert mode
and on "Burning Options" page you need to uncheck "Create multisession disc" option.

If you use "Burn Data" wizard with turned OFF Expert mode then your disc will be burned as NOT finalized.

If you use "Burn Data" wizard with turned ON Expert mode and with checked "Create multisession disc" option then your disc will be burned as NOT finalized too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:51 pm 

Ok, but you didn't answer my question. I got the disk finalized, but I can only see part of what was burned onto the disk. Why is that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:02 pm 

rcampbell12 wrote:
Ok, but you didn't answer my question. I got the disk finalized, but I can only see part of what was burned onto the disk. Why is that.

1)Do you import last session and burn disc with unchecked "creatre multisession disc" options?
(Do you use StarBurn for burning, importing and finalizing?)
2)What file system you choose ISO9660, ISO9660+Joliet or UDF ?
3)What disc type you use CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW ?
4)How many sessions you burn on one disc?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:16 pm 

I think the problem might have been related to my question.

If the user shuts down StarBurn 12, it restarts with EXPERT MODE turned OFF. If you forget then forget to turn Expert Mode back ON, you have AGAIN burned more information to your disk without closing out the disk.

The fact that rcampbell12 finalized the disk but only sees part of the data means that he has installed multiple tracks instead of laying all the data on one track.

(In order to view disks on my TV player, the disk MUST be closed - no multi-session or multi-track.)

SO MY QUESTION IS - How can I permanently turn ON the EXPERT MODE?

Registry tweak or startup parameters would be great if there is NO easy way to do it. This is a MUST have for me.

It seems that with version 12 you have taken 2 steps forward and one step back. I love being able to figure out what files I want using the Micro$oft file manager and then dragging and dropping them into SB-12, that works great! Unfortunately this Expert/NonExpert mode thing is frustrating because I am forever forgetting NOT to turn it on!

It would be great if you had some kind of setup - configuration - preference option.
I really like your product(s) and have been using it since Feb 2007. (Which is my problem because I have not had to worry about Expert ON/OFF for the last 28 months ;-)
--Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

This is a good idea and we'll do it. In the upcoming update. Thank you for your suggestion!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:16 am 

CaptainCosmic wrote:
I think the problem might have been related to my question.

If the user shuts down StarBurn 12, it restarts with EXPERT MODE turned OFF. If you forget then forget to turn Expert Mode back ON, you have AGAIN burned more information to your disk without closing out the disk.

The fact that rcampbell12 finalized the disk but only sees part of the data means that he has installed multiple tracks instead of laying all the data on one track.

(In order to view disks on my TV player, the disk MUST be closed - no multi-session or multi-track.)

SO MY QUESTION IS - How can I permanently turn ON the EXPERT MODE?

Registry tweak or startup parameters would be great if there is NO easy way to do it. This is a MUST have for me.

It seems that with version 12 you have taken 2 steps forward and one step back. I love being able to figure out what files I want using the Micro$oft file manager and then dragging and dropping them into SB-12, that works great! Unfortunately this Expert/NonExpert mode thing is frustrating because I am forever forgetting NOT to turn it on!

It would be great if you had some kind of setup - configuration - preference option.
I really like your product(s) and have been using it since Feb 2007. (Which is my problem because I have not had to worry about Expert ON/OFF for the last 28 months ;-)
--Steve

If I have got currently right when you close StarBurn with turned ON Expert mode then when you restart StarBurn Expert mode is turned OFF ?